Lots of Writing – The Annotated Paragraph

The following excerpt is taken from The Penal Colony
What is the sentence?” the Traveller asked. “You don’t even know that?” asked the Officer in astonishment and bit his lip . “Forgive me if my explanations are perhaps confused. I really do beg your pardon. Previously it was the Commandant’s habit to provide such explanations. But the New Commandant has excused himself from this honorable duty. However, the fact that with such an eminent visitor”—the Traveller tried to deflect the honour with both hands, but the Officer insisted on the expression—“that with such an eminent visitor he didn’t even once make him aware of the form of our sentencing is yet again something new, which. . . .” He had a curse on his lips, but controlled himself and said merely: “I was not informed about it. It’s not my fault. In any case, I am certainly the person best able to explain our style of sentencing, for here I am carrying”—he patted his breast pocket—“the relevant diagrams drawn by the previous Commandant.”

3 Comments so far

1.   Kevin L. Ferguson on November 1st, 2011

Hi Andy,

It looks like you only did the first part of the assignment. Let me know when you update with the second part: “Accompany your annotated paragraph with your close reading: an essay that analyzes how the author’s word choice and syntax (word order) create literary meaning (not just literal meaning).”

It looks like this passage mentions a number of body parts–lips, hands, breast. . . maybe that’s a place to start?

2.   andycrazn on November 2nd, 2011

hey professor i split the assignment. the essay is on a page.

3.   Kevin L. Ferguson on November 3rd, 2011

I see now. Can you copy this post over to the page so the two are together? I would just cut and paste the html . . . which SHOULD keep all your hovering intact.